Date(s) - 06/22/18 - 06/28/18
The Net Loft
FisherFolk – Land & Sea
a fiberarts retreat & festival celebrating the proud tradition of harvest, heritage & handknits
Net Loft Fiber & Friends invites you to FisherFolk, a retreat in the remote commercial fishing village of Cordova, Alaska, as we continue to celebrate and honor the great gansey knitting tradition. This event will also pay tribute to the shawl wearing gansey knitters of the past, by offering a series of instructional lace knitting courses.
By providing opportunities for enjoying and documenting outdoor experiences in conjunction with creative workshops and activities, we hope to foster friendships while learning new skills in an environment where both land and sea come together to create the Cordova FisherFolk lifestyle.
The FisherFolk gathering consists of a framework of activities around which one may build a unique event experience that reflect our LAND & SEA theme. Our lace knitting courses represent the land and our gansey courses and exhibition represent the sea. Our land and sea excursions include field and sketching explorations, as well as sea kayak and knit adventures into Prince William Sound. Embroidery and journaling bring both together as we interpret our activities in needle and thread, paint and pen.
One may sign up for as much or as little as they like. We have chosen to have certain items be inclusive in registration, with options for individually “a la carte” priced workshops to be selected as desired.
Event is scheduled from Friday June 22 – Thursday June 28.
Registration Check-in begins June 22, 4 pm.
The registration fee includes the following, including our collection of Net Loft Fiber & Friends gifted treasures that preregistrants will receive when they check in at the registration desk upon arrival.
INCLUDED IN REGISTRATION FEE:
- Dutch Ganseys Exhibit Museum Reception. Exhibit of over 50 adult and children’s ganseys from Holland will be on display. First time showing in America.
- Opening Night Dinner
- Opening Night Keynote Lecture Evelyn Clark (Lace Knitting – Land) and Stella Ruhe (Dutch Ganseys – Sea)
- One Hour Guided Museum Tour Session with Stella Ruhe of Dutch Ganseys Exhibition
- Half Day Field/Travel Journaling Session with artist Maryjo Koch (supplies provided)
- Evening Keynote Lecture Beth Brown Reinsel (Knitted Ganseys), Cordova Gansey Project Presentation and Gansey Knitting Panel/Forum Discussion
- Salmon BBQ/Potluck Picnic and Campfire at Bear Country Lodge
- Evening Session Gathering at Library Fireplace: Book signing, Special Surprise Guest: A Kindred Spirit, Wildflower Embroidery Crafting Session, Knitting around the Fireplace