Not many people end up in Cordova, Alaska by accident. If you live here, you probably love this community and are working hard to stay here. The businesses of Cordova are the same — working hard to provide jobs, offer the goods and services we all need, and stay in the black. You can make the holidays a little brighter for your friends and neighbors who own small businesses by making sure you shop local this holiday season. Here are some great reasons to Shop Cordova First!
When You Shop at a Local Business, you can:
- Check out the item in person. If you’re like 46% of shoppers, you want to touch and feel something before purchase. Buying local allows you to hold, examine, even try on items before you buy them.
- Sustain the local job market. Did you know that small employers are collectively the largest employer in the U.S., with more than 65% of new jobs being generated from small businesses? When you shop locally, you are helping to sustain existing jobs and create new ones, right in your community.
- Take advantage of local expertise. If you’re shopping for someone who also lives here, your local retailer might even know what that person likes based on their previous shopping and buying habits.
- Know you are supporting local non-profits, school groups, and events. Our local businesses go out of their way to support Cordova kids’ sports teams, community events and a host of other good local causes. Online retailers don’t.
- Compare options in person and ask questions from a knowledgeable source, getting immediate answers.
- Embrace what makes your community special! The unique mix of art, culture, and businesses in Cordova is what makes our community distinctive. When you support a local artisan or business owner, you’re investing in what makes this place one-of-a-kind.
- Avoid shipping costs!
- Create more choice. Locally owned businesses pick the items and products they sell based on what they know you like and want. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, try asking the store to order it for you!
- Take it home with you right away. There are many reasons you might need it today and isn’t it nice we have that option, thanks to our local business owners!
- Put money back into the community you love! For every $100 you spend at locally owned businesses, $67 will stay in the community being recirculated through other small businesses and eventually funding the infrastructure we all enjoy like shared public facilities, road maintenance, parks and recreation, libraries, police and fire departments!
This Saturday, November 30th, shoppers all over the country will be making a concerted effort to shop local for “Small Business Saturday”. In Cordova, our shop local celebration starts on December 6th with the Holiday Bazaar and the first night of Moonlight Madness! We’re all working hard to be here, so why not help each other by aiming to buy more of your holiday gifts from local Cordovan businesses and artisans?