It’s clear there’s no limit to the amount of landscape you can explore. However, temperate rainforests do tend to breed inclement weather at times, so it’s best to have a full quiver of activities to keep the whole family busy! This region’s rich ecological resources have made it a living laboratory, full of researchers and artisans ready to share their passions and teach you something new!
- Take an art or crafting workshop – The Net Loft offers beginner to advanced fiber and handcrafting workshops throughout the year, and some of their most popular coincide with Annual Festivals. Ilanka Cultural Center also offers very interesting classes on traditional native techniques and art. Group painting classes are also available through Copper River Canvas.
- Scratch your science itch – Chugach National Forest Cordova Ranger District is active in programming for all ages and ability levels. They partner with the Prince William Sound Science Center for weekly Science Talks that are free and often quite interesting. The Science Center also offers youth summer camps.
- Get your sweat on – Whether you’d rather workout at the gym, play a pickup game or swim some laps, the City of Cordova Parks and Rec Dept has you covered. If you time your gym visit right, you might catch one of their awesome aerobics, tabata or weight lifting classes, included for free with your gym admission. The indoor pool is even chlorine free (saltwater)!
- Sit by the fireplace with a good book – Take in the unrefined beauty of Cordova’s working harbor from your perch in the brand new Cordova Public Library, situated on the upper level of the Cordova Center. The library features a separate tot room, teen area and a fireplace nook! While you’re there, venture across the upper atrium to the Copper River Gallery and check out their permanent collection and rotating art exhibits.
- Cater to the kiddos – Take the little ones to one of Cordova’s many weekly and monthly kid-oriented activities. Download the full list here.
Go play outside anyway – There’s a saying in Cordova that if you don’t want to go out in the rain, you’re not going to get out much. Layer on that rain gear, and embrace the weather! We call it liquid sunshine!